Friday, June 25, 2010

Fremont, Michigan

Good morning everyone!

Today is my last day in Fremont, Michigan. After spending two weeks in this little town I have really fallen in love with this place. Fremont is the home of Gerber baby food and the whole town is centered around this company. There are ~4,000 residents in Fremont and about ~1,000 of them are employed by Gerber. Everyone that I have worked with and met in this town have been wonderful.

We came into this trip thinking that there was going to be nothing to do in this town and that we were going to be bored out of our minds after one day. We were completely wrong. It reminded me of small town ND. Everyone at the front desk at the Harrington Inn knew me by name, the two ladies that worked breakfast at Subway knew exactly what breakfast sandwich I was going to be ordering when I walked in, and the girl at the Koffee Kup had a big smile on her face every time we came in for lunch. We even chatted with the owner of the 33 Main CafĂ© when we had lunch there earlier this week. Everyone has been so nice and we have yet to run into anyone in this town that didn’t have a smile on their face.

On Tuesday morning, my dear friend Barb sent me flowers to the hotel just because. It was a very sweet surprise and I don’t know if I was more excited to get them or if the girl at the front desk was more excited to hand them to me. Thank you again Barb for adding even more cheer to my week.

I am very excited to get home to St Louis today and be done with work travel for a couple of months, but if all of my trips were to places like Fremont I would be ok with having to travel once in a while still. Even though I worked a 15 ½ hour day yesterday I got back to the hotel feeling relaxed and not stressed for the first time on one of my travel trips for my new company. I am still not really liking my job yet but after these last two weeks I am starting to feel better about being with this company. It is all worth it to be near Chris and my family everyday.

To end this post, I just want to wish you all a good weekend. If you ever need to just get away for a few days and don’t want the hustle and bustle of a big city, consider taking a trip to Fremont. You won’t be disappointed. Plus, it is only $6 to see a movie at the theater here in town and $15 for two people to eat at the restaurant at the really nice golf course here so it would be a very inexpensive trip!

Thank you again for supporting me and being patient with me as I adjust to my new job and go through my weight loss journey. I am starting to feel more energized every day! I will post my week 6 results after my weigh in tomorrow!

Love, Bessie

1 comment:

Kevin Malphurs said...

I enjoyed this post about Fremont. Sometimes the best places to visit are the small towns where everyone is genuinely friendly. I am glad the trip went well and if I am ever in the area I would love to check out Fremont.