Good morning everyone! I hope you all had a good week this week. Ours has been crazy busy but I am looking forward to a somewhat relaxing weekend that will include sleeping in J
Last weekend was a blast! It was so good to catch up with Darla, Rachel, and Johnathan as they all came down for the Blink 182 concert. As you know from my last post, I was scheduled to drive to visit them, but because they are such great friends and family, they came to us instead so that we could go to the concert together. The concert was AMAZING! They put on a great light show and the one liners they threw out in between songs were pretty funny. It was a gorgeous night to be at an outdoor concert too. I have to say, Travis Barker is one of the best drummers I have ever seen in my life. I was in awe watching him play and he did a really cool drum solo where they lifted him and the drum set up in the air above the crowd and tipped him forward so that he was playing vertically. VERY COOL! I have heard in past concerts they had him set up to flip completely upside down while he was playing too but this was still pretty fun to see. It was well worth the cheap $20 we spent to go see them. One more thing I can check off my bucket list although if they ever come back again I would not hesitate for a second about buying tickets.
Rachel and John left on Saturday morning to head back home so Darla and I took the rest of Saturday to watch parts 1 & 2 of the 7th Harry Potter movie. Chris hasn’t really gotten into the whole HP series so it was good to be able to find someone to watch them with me. I have read all the books and bought part 1 of the 7th movie when it came out on DVD but hadn’t found 3 hrs to sit down and watch it yet so Darla and I decided to watch it at the house and then catch the second half at the theater that night. They did a great job of closing out the series with these two movies. Still a little annoyed that they broke the last book up into 2 movies just to make more money off the series before it was all over but they were both really good. Sad to see the series over but I am looking forward to reading the books and watching the movies with my kids some day.
During the week this week I baked cakes for 100 people for the back to school gathering at Kenrick Seminary. My brother’s good friend Tom is attending the seminary here in MO so he called and asked me to make the cakes. It was such an honor and I had a great time putting them together. The first cake was a ½ sheet blueberry cake with a picture of the Vatican flag on top. The second cake was a 2-tier (12in and 9 in) carrot cake designed to look like the roman collars that priests wear. They both turned out great and Tom said the guys really enjoyed them both. While there to drop off the cakes, Tom gave Chris and I a tour of the chapel too. It was really beautiful. I could spend a lot of time in there just admiring the simplicity and beauty of the place. I am so glad to see Tom enjoying his time at Kenrick and pray his journey continues to go well. Hopefully I will have the honor of baking again for them for another future gathering.
My cakes have come a long way since I started taking classes this winter. It has become my new favorite hobby. I have always known how to bake but have been learning the decorating side of it now and am really enjoying it. My coworkers are enjoying my new hobby as well. When I brought in a cake for the 4th of July, I put it in the break room at 8 am and it was gone by 9 am so I guess that is a good sign that they enjoyed it J
-Bessie
No comments:
Post a Comment